Wednesday, July 2, 2008

OHIO!!!!

We left Ohio yesterday but I haven't gotten a chance to update everyone on it!
Well first, let me just say that I really enjoyed my time in Ohio, I think the Buckeye state is GREAT! Reasons why:
-After about 40 miles we stopped hitting mountains, and finally got to rolling hills. While I do miss the mountains because they blocked the wind, it is so nice not to pee my biking shorts everytime I see a big hill.
-We are FINALLY entering the Midwest. I have taken it upon myself to teach everyone things they should know (did you know some of the people on the trip have never seen water towers...and don't know what corn looks like!) I've been teaching the purpose of water towers, and how to recognize corn, wheat, soybeans and hay (I mean really...how did people not know that growing up!!)
-Ohio is the birth place of Halley Feil!!!! And Halley we didn't actually go through Granville, just the outskirts (before heading on to Buxley). But I made sure to think of you the entire time.
-There are quite a few blackberry trees here (they bloom earlier here Eric!). I've stopped and picked (and eaten) quite a few, but some of the people here think its weird to eat berries from nature...i guess maybe they enjoy preservatives and processed food better...?

Yesterday we left Ohio and entered Indiana, another state I have never been to! Our first town to stay in was Rushville, and the people there were SUPER hospitable! They presented us with a feast for both dinner and breakfast (yum, pancakes, oatmeal, fresh fruit!!). Tonight we are in Bloomington, home of IU. Tomorrow is a build day, and it is so refreshing not to be on a bike (even though I love it). While Im SO thankful to be doing this trip this summer, the last three days have been a challenge. Due to bad weather (the day we entered Columbus we rode through three storms), flat tires (I've now had 11, and just got new tires), and trying to help others, I haven't gotten in before 7 pm each day (and we start biking around 7 am). However, when I find myself in a bad mood, the wonderful people in my group are there with hugs and helping me cheer up. And luckily, tonight I hope to ketch up on sleep and tomorrow after building I can do some "me" things!

Funny thoughts:
-The coolest street name I've seen was "Scarce on Fat Road"...
-Thanks for the note Uncle George and Aunt Laura...I have had some saddle soreness but have plenty of cream!

On the last note, going across the country is somewhat expensive. I didn't realize that I would need to upkeep my bike and buy new tires, tubes and possible a chain. If you haven't donated to the cause or know anyone who would like to, please email me at kossoyal@grinnell.edu, call (785-230-1670) or send me a check through the mail drop system.

Well the public library is about to kick me off the computer. Thanks for reading my blog, I love you all, and sending everyone HUGE hugs!

3 comments:

AndyK said...

Actually, it's Scarce O'Fat Road or Scarce of Fat Road. It runs along th top of Scarce O' Fat Ridge.

Halley said...

Yay Ohio! I love Ohio! Glad you had a good time in my state. Well, except for the weather and all.

George and Laura said...

Have a wonderful 4th of July, hope you see some fireworks. Keep up the good work. Love L & G