Wednesday, July 23, 2008

The Pros and Cons of Texas

Sadly, I left Texas today. If I had kept a pro and cons list of Texas this is how it would have gone:

Pros:
-The flat land makes everything so visible, and riding into the blue sky and horizon is gorgeous.
-Yesterday we went to the second largest canyon in the US- Palo Duro. I didn't ride down into it, but standing on the edge was great! Plus we had to go East to get there, it was the first time all summer we had a tail wind, we were barely peddling and going 19 miles and hour!!
-We got in to Hereford yesterday early so we could go see the Batman movie, which was awesome! Two of the girls on our trip were extras in it, so we cheered when they made their one second deput.
-Uncle Kenny: I decided this morning that sometime soon we are going to have a bike ride from our house in kansas to your house. Dad said you use to bike a lot (thats so cool i never knew that!). You can either meet me half way, or I can suprise you on your doorstep...maybe dad can tag along too!

Cons:
-The industrial meet plants makes towns in texas REEK! I want to forever have absolutely not part of industrial meet. We biked past 5 or six feed lots...cow death camps. Cows are stuck together in pens where there are so many of them they can barely move. It smells rancid like too much poop and sickness all in one. Tons of semis pass us and after ever one I have to hold my breath. When we entered Hereford I almost blew chuncks because it smelled like poop, then molasses, then road kill (I guess there is a feed plant, packing plant, ethanol plant, and plant where they make raw hide bones for dogs out of left over cow parts).

A funny part:
We stayed last night in Hereford, the Beef Capital of the World. The church we stayed at served us pork.

And so far New Mexico is treating us great! Were staying in a dorm tonight and get this: I get my own bed!!!!!! Also, the land changed rapidly and there are already more desert plans and hills.

All for now, I think I'm off to take a nap (in my dorm room, and I can shut the door and no one will bother me!!!!)

~allie

1 comment:

George and Laura said...

WOW!!Looks like youre over half way..nice job!! You still have some really nice scenic areas yet to come. Watch out for UFO's in Roswell and enjoy the South Rim $ Hoover Dam ..and the Moja desert
wish we were with you..love G & L