Friday, July 18, 2008

Aunt Laura and Uncle George started off a GREAT day!!!

So riding is still going well...despite the heat I never knew existed in the South

Yesterday we made it to Yukon, a suburb of Oklahoma City! It was really great to see Katherine (despite her car troubles!). When we got in to the church I went to look at the mail pile and had a WONDERFUL! card from Aunt Laura and Uncle George (thanks by the way!) (your donation went to quality tires!). I made sure to read it first thing this morning and it gave me good luck for the day. Oh, and to answer you questions, I've seen lots of hawks, some sizzor tails, and have been teaching people how Bob Whites sounds. Oh, and Dave Miller, thanks for the cookies...the entire group swallowed them in one day!

The first couple of days into Oklahoma scared me a bit, my body isn't quite adjusted to the heat and being outside was exhausting. I think the trick is to ride hard in the morning, before the afternoon heat sets in. Also, I think it is important to me to dump water on my head about every hour in the afternoon. Today at 11:40 we had 40 miles left and the bank sign said it was 103 degrees out! I've gone through at LEAST four liters of water. I couldn't belive it! Luckily I rode with Julia and we sang the entire Rent soundtrack and part of Les Mes, so the time went by quickly and with fun.

Tomorrow we enter Texas...Uncle Kenny, I will definately be thinking about you! We have a build day in Amarillo, let me know if you want to come pound some nails! Some of the boys in the group want to do the steak challenge (I think its like 64 ounzes of steak in an hour...gross!)

And Halley, Im really sorry about your bike...maybe youll find it? Let me know if you want to borrow mine. Although I read your plan and it was really cute (even though sad)...did you know that bike and builder's often pee in nature as well (although not in people's back yards)

Well, everyone else has gone to shower....I can either walk six blocks to the pool or use a hose...decisions decisions!

love!
allie

1 comment:

Kent said...

You have to get the ole 96er and the gristle if you want a real Texas steak.

uncle k