Saturday, June 14, 2008

Our First Build!

So today was our first build with Habitat for Humanity! I have to admit I wasn't very excited about building (I just love biking), but ended up really enjoying myself. The first part of the morning we spent digging into the ground to make holes that would later be filled with concrete for a fence. Then in the afternoon I learned how to use a hammer (I've have no previous experience) and carrying 2x4s and other wood to builders. There is a lot of satisfaction in knowing that you are a small cog in helping someone have their own home. I also enjoyed working with dirt and building things, and it made me proud of Grandpa Bristol and Uncle Dan (geez Uncle Dan, we only put up two walls and a roof today, how do you do entire houses...!?)

This trip is also dedicated to Chris Webber, who was an active member of Bike and Build and died a year ago. We are currently staying in his elementary school and his parents have been providing delicious meals for us. Later in the trip we will be visiting Vassar, where he went to school. It has been an honor to get to know his family and help them remember the amazingness of their son.

Other thoughts...I'm really enjoying this group of people, and everyday I learn more about my teammates. Being in this group reminds me of my swimming days and growing together as a team.

3 comments:

Amanda Keledjian said...

Hey you!
Just wanted to let you know that I found your blog and that I'll be watching and thinking about you!

lots of love

Coach Erin said...

Allie! i have found you and will track your ride. Be safe and be good.
Erin

Mrs. K. said...

Hello! I am very excited to read about how this trip develops. Are your route leaders donning any scrunchies? It's just not the same, is it? Good luck and be safe!

Irina (from Birthright!!!!!!)