Thursday, June 19, 2008

85 miles, 50 dollars and the worst day ever!

hey friends!

So first my apologies for not writing more...there are 32 of us and not a lot of computers. anyways so much has happened that it's impossible to write about it all...some highlights:

-although hard with the hills (i call them mountains), the new england area is absolutely beautiful!
-i got to see amy drake and grandpa and uncle george...seeing them was fabulous and added to how great the trip is!
-we have eaten TONS of food...i never though i would like pb and j as much as i do
-the people here are amazing. they make me laugh, but are also there when you've had a hard day.
-people here think Im really upbeat and positive...they just havent seen my alter ego yet!!!

so about yesterday...yesterday was our hardest day by far. We rode 85 (I KNOW...SO MUCH!) miles. Not only the distance, but I had a really hard time as my gears weren't working correctly. My friend Dani helped my fix them. I was really pissy so I decided to bike by myself...which wouldve been fine except I missed a turn. I went about 6 miles out of the way (im not sure my odometer was working correctly) and pulled over to ask for directions. Luckily, the people I talked to were really friendly, and one of the guys gave me a ride back to the turn. And even better, one of the guys made a $50 donation to bike and build!!! So my mistake became good fortune. However, that was not the end of the hard times: at mile 70 I got a flat. As I started to change my first flat ever, a torrential downpour started. Then we got lost finding the host site. At 6:30 we rolled in, drenched and starving.

Despite Alexandra and the no good very bad day, it was worth it (which is easy to say now that I'm warm, have slept and been fed!). I got lots of hugs, and slept in a bed last night. Im really excited to be building today, because I enjoyed it so much last week ( i rock with hammer and nails).

Sorry if this post was poorly written, people are talking in the computer lounge and i have trouble multi tasking! Sending love and hugs to everyone

3 comments:

slsms11 said...

Allie, you are an amazing person for finding the positives in such a terrible day. I am sure it was a hard day to complete but you did so with such admirable energy. I miss you so much and I hope we can see each other or at least talk before you head out to Greece. I am so proud of you!!! Talk to you soon and I cant wait to read your next posting! -Sarah

Skossoy said...

Wow! Sounds like a rough day. Way to keep your chin up. I love reading your updates! Glad you got to see Grandpa and Uncle George. Love you! - Stacie

Halley said...

Allie dear, I love reading about your biking :) Sounds like you're having a good time, well other than the terrible day you had. And changing a bike tire sucks. Hope the rest of your days are better!