Saturday, August 2, 2008

News From Arizona!

Arizona is a land of unique of beautiful geography... The past couple days we:

-went into the painted desert...famous "badlands" where water caused the land to erode and show different minerals and different colors of dirt...from where we were biking we could see hues of green, red, white, blue and brown all on the mountains we were passing by on our bikes.
-passed by petrified forests and saw rock wood!
-stopped at a meteor creator
- crossed paths with jackalope, rabbits and lizards in the desert.

But perhaps the coolest thing was today on our day off in Flagstaff. Sophie Turrell is one of our trip leaders and apparently her father, James (or Jim) Turrell is famous in the art world. We got to go to Roden Crator, his work in progress that is a volcano turned into artwork. We walked through these tunnells that frame the sky and other rooms that capture the hues of sunrises and sunsets on slates of walls. Its impossible to describe but absolutely amazing (heres a NY Times article on it: http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/25/arts/design/25fink.html).

Anyways, tomorrow we're off the the Grand Canyon and then Las Vegas!!!
~allie

3 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Halley said...

I can't believe you're almost done. I suppose the summer is almost over, though. You're going to love the Grand Canyon..it's so beautiful!

Unknown said...

Allie, I'm breathless to hear about your trip. I'm happy you enjoyed Arizona. Since my dad's from there, I've spent many summers there visiting my grandparents. I wish I could have been there to see Roden Crator. It sounds amazing. I'd love to hear more. You inspire.
Eric