Saturday, August 23, 2008

It has come to an end!

Im writing my last post from my kitchen table in Topeka, Kansas. Bike and Build has been over for 8 days, but I have definitely been avoiding this last blog, I don't think I wanted to admit my adventure is over. The end seems sort of hazy, but heres my best recollection...

We spent the last three days only riding 30 miles or so. It was really nice because most of us were extremely exhausted, and it gave us time to recover before our final day. On August 14th, we rode to a spot where all 31 of us met and rode together the last 5 miles. Tons of friends and family met us at East Beach in Santa Barbara, cheering and whistling. We rode in, dropped our bikes and ran to the water. Afterwards, we had our tire dipping ceremony and spent time reflecting on what we had gained and left behind this summer. That night we went out for a fancy dinner (our tan lines went beautiful with our nice clothes) and drinks. The next day we built houses, and then the goodbyes began...

I chose not to go home via plane, but the leaders were driving the support vehicle back. We went from Santa Monica to Zion National Park to Denver (had a day off there), and then to Topeka. So thanks Skip, Kyle, Sophie, and Kristi, that was the most fun I've ever had in a van. I love Tenacious D and the Toast song, and laughing so much!

Im trying to reflect on this summer, and the last couple of days have been a little tough transitioning. I feel a mix of sadness for what happened, but also smile at all the greatness. I also feel a little jumbled since this is the first year I won't being going back to school...and I will be going to Greece for a year....But regardless Bike and Build has taught me:

-that you can do anything (even bike across the county), as long as you take small steps (66 days) and don't think of it all at once
-Everyone I met was SUPER generous. I was looking back over my donor list and donors, I can't thank you enough. You gave me the experience of a lifetime. And all the churches that opened their doors to us...wow.
-Your body can always do more than you think you mind can do.
-Although sometimes I felt like screaming, I love the 30 others Bike and Builders I spent my time with. We're like a big family

I think all for now....
Keep on pedaling!
Allie
-I have no personal boundaries now...Im use to living with 30 others all the time

3 comments:

Unknown said...

please keep blogging when you go to greece! i love reading about your exciting experiences! (and i love YOU!!!)

em said...

I agree with Stevie, keep writing! And congratulations for making it!

Unknown said...

Hey allie ^_^


Def agree that we are all a great big family!

I hope you are having a great time in greece!!!

Take care hun! Miss you!

<3 Angie